They say that the eyes are the windows to the soul. If you believe this, then you agree that the eyelids are the window treatments that you see the soul through. Many people don’t come to me seeking treatment for around the eyes but after they are treated there, they absolutely love how refreshed, awake and youthful small tweaks to the eyelids have made them feel. There are lots of safe, effective treatments for the eyelids but beware this is a high risk area to treat and you should seek an expert healthcare provider when treating this area. I can’t tell you how many “botched” eyelids I’ve fixed (#humbrag). Here are my favorite options for treating lines, wrinkles, crepe paper like eyelid skin, dark circles and the dreaded “bags”.
- Blepharoplasty- This is a surgery where they repair or reconstruct the eyelid. We don’t perform this at JD but it is a good option for some people.
- Filler- I personally think this is the easiest way to “botch” the eyelids. It’s a high risk area to inject and can even cause blindness. I often times inject the midface to pull the skin under the eyes which looks natural and works wonders. warning: seek an expert, please!
- Botox- FDA has approved 24 units for “crows feet”. If your main focus is to enhance your smile with softening your “crows feet” then Botox is the way to go. Warning: Seek an expert. When injected incorrectly this could cause a “shelf” look to the cheek when smiling. FYI: This is my personal favorite location to have Botox injected. It opens my eyes and helps me look so refreshed compared to how tired I am with two kids under 3.
- Growth Factor- This is the precursor to collagen. It’s a hot ingredient right now and guess what? You don’t have to pay all that money for a poorly studied procedure (cough, vampire facial, cough) to get the benefits of growth factor. It is an unstable molecule so you need a good researched skin care product to reap the benefits. My favorite is TNS recovery or TNS essential serum from SkinMedica. It works, it’s magic like breastmilk and it can’t be reproduced. It tells your collagen factory, which starts slacking as you age, to make more collagen. The recovery I recommend for acne prone skin and the essential serum is good for everyone else, especially if you tend to be dry skinned because it has vitamin C which is excellent for moisturizing. Warning: You must get through two bottles before you decide if it works-it’s like losing weight, real results that last take time to achieve.
- HA5-The newest product to the SkinMedica family and most patients’ current fav addition. Imagine a cream that fairies make with the water from the fountain of youth on the beaches of Bali and then travel via Unicorn to have it packaged in a magical factory made of spring flowers where the employees let little newborn babies give each bottle a little giggle and snuggle. That’s the feeling I get and what I dream of as I apply HA5 to my face. It’s that good. It contains 5 hyaluronic acids that get you an immediate plumping but as you use it over time the vitis flower extract in it tells your skin to make more collagen resulting in reduction in fine lines, wrinkles, redness and irritation. Come get some, you can thank me later. Your eyelids will go from scratchy potato sack to silk curtains before you know it.
- Sunscreen- To prevent premature photoaging around the eyes you should apply at least a 30 SPF broad spectrum, waterproof sunscreen daily and reapply every 2 hours while outdoors. My favorite for antiaging is the Total Defense and Repair by SkinMedica because it repairs but it also has a tinted version that covers and protects against infrared rays too!
- Latisse-This is a prescription FDA approved and effective treatment for lengthening, darkening and thickening the lashes. If I use mine every night I can’t wear my glasses without my super lashes pushing them down my nose-yes I’m serious. There is no generic or alternative with the same ingredients. It’s very cost effective compared to eyelash extensions but it is also great to use with eyelash extensions. After I have injected and lasered my mom, she feels like Latisse is what really made her look/feel younger. You don’t realize how much losing your thick, dark, long lashes matures you.
- Sublative- This is thought of like some people may think of laser but it is not a true laser because it isn’t light. It is microneedling and radiofrequency. It breaks up the top layer of skin and makes you rebuild collagen. It tightens the skin helping fine lines, wrinkles, crepe paper like skin and sagging around the eyes. There is some downtime with this procedure but when you see the before and after pictures of some of our patients you won’t care what kind of labor you have to go through to have those babies!
I would encourage you all to come see us at Johnson Dermatology and let us consult what the best option for you is to beautify and enhance the window treatments for the windows to the soul. Dani is our cosmetic coordinator who loves talking procedures with you and we also have a great skin care product team to discuss products with you anytime.
“Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child” -Ron Wild
Hope your weekend was perfect, xoxo, Nina