Obviously I put effort into my skin looking good and my skin care regimen. I invest in products that change my skin (HA5, Retinol, TNS, etc.). I also have some favorites that are less than five bucks. The key to skin care on a budget is that you need to know where to splurge and where to skimp while still giving your skin the best. With that in mind I thought I would share with you guys my favorite products that I personally use, all under $20!
- Jane Iredale Magic Mitt- This is a mitten that quickly and gently removes make-up. It’s $15 (available at the clinic) plus you can save on a “make-up remover” because you only need to use water! This is cheaper than a clarisonic (which I love too) and gentler than a wash cloth, loofa or rough make-up remover towelette that could cause your skin damage.
- Antidandruff shampoo- You can get classic head and shoulders here for $12.17. This is not just good for dandruff. It helps with “heat rash” and “yeast acne” or as some may say “backne” that you get after working out and sweating. I’m currently using it for a body wash instead of plain soap during these hot Summer days.
- Vaseline- Here is a jar for $1.62. The possibilities with vaseline are endless. I open my jar and let the hot water run over it and heat it up while I’m taking a shower. Then I pat dry and rub it all over as my body moisturizer. Your skin will be softer than ever. I also use it on cuts/scrapes to prevent scab formation for prettier scars and to prevent infection. Replace expensive triple antibiotic ointment with vaseline and get the same results with less chance of allergic reaction.
- Vicks Vapor Rub- You can grab a bottle for $5.75 here. People use it for toe nail fungus and warts. I personally inherited hobbit feet. To fix that dry, cracked, thick foot skin problem I apply a layer of vicks vapor rub to my feet, put on socks and sleep like that. This will soften that skin without using tools that can spread infection and cause irritation.
- Sunscreen. I use a more high end facial sunscreen from SkinMedica called Total Defense and Repair daily (it’s life changing if you haven’t tried it). But my frugal self doesn’t take it to the lake or pool with me. My family goes through an entire spray bottle in a weekend EASILY! So this spray mineral sunscreen from BareRepulic found at Target is my go-to. It’s 30 SPF and a mineral sunscreen. It goes on white so you can see where you have covered well which is helpful for me(drives my husband crazy looking white) out on the boat. Remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Help save your skin from wrinkles, brown spots and skin cancer.
Don’t forget that August is our 10 year Anniversary and we are giving tons of gift with purchases. Free skin care consults and cosmetic consults the rest of the month so stop by and say HI!
“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.” -John Ruskin
Peace, love and the best skin care, Nina