There are certain things in life that make you feel good; make you want to turn the music up in the car and dance your whole drive home. On Friday I got my hair done(shout out to my girls at Roots hair salon). I love it! It put me in a good mood. I wanted to celebrate how great it made me feel. Maybe the older you get in life the more small things grow in importance and significance and I have reached the age where a great cut and color is the highlight of my week. Or maybe when you look good you really do feel good. Whatever the reason, I know that my mood can go from great to dancing in the streets after a good haircut,massage, date night, girls night out or filler (last time I had filler to contour my cheeks I took approximately 500 Kim Kardashian style selfies). That’s the real reason we all get botox, laser, invest in skin care, color our hair, get a pedicure, shop the new styles or even use make-up. We want to look good to feel good.
Laser hair reduction is probably the most universal cosmetic skin procedure. Men and women of all ages can benefit from laser hair reduction. If you have unwanted dark hairs we can do laser hair reduction on your upper lip, chin, underarms, abdomen, bikini area, legs and back. We have recently upped our game of laser hair reduction at Johnson Dermatology so I thought we should do a re-cap overview.
- We have three lasers for hair reduction. We have the YAG which is the safest laser on the market for dark skin. The Elos is a machine that has different pieces for different things. We have a hand piece for painless hair reduction and then another piece for larger areas so it won’t take as long and it won’t hurt as much.
- You can’t get lasered when you are tan. It can cause discoloration.
- You have to have dark hair. If the hair is blonde the laser won’t work. The laser targets dark and if there is nothing to target it simply won’t work well. This is why you can’t wax nor pluck two weeks before being lasered, it needs that target. Don’t fret, you can shave.
- It requires 3-5 monthly treatments for semi-permanent results.
- Laser hair reduction of the underarms (we say axillae in the fancy medical world) can also help with excessive sweating.
- Laser hair reduction can solve the problem of “razor burn”. If I’ve said it once I’ve said it 100 times, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
- Think of all the money you will save in razors, shaving cream, aftershave, waxing appointments, threading and all the other lotions and potions you use for hair reduction.
- It makes a great gift. Give it to your guy with a hairy back or who hates his beard and wants it forever gone. Give it to your bridesmaids-it’s the gift that keeps on giving. Honestly, everyone has somewhere they would probably like laser hair reduction.
- There is no downtime. I can have my upper lip lasered (maltese girl problems) and go see patients 5 minutes later and no one can tell. I might be a little red but it covers with make-up, no biggie.
- With the new painless laser hair reduction, Motif, it doesn’t hurt. If you had laser hair reduction 5 years ago this will change your experience 100%.
Laser hair reduction can be life changing. Upper lip hair used to embarrass me, razor burn hurt and itched. If you or someone you know could benefit from laser hair reduction I highly recommend you call and ask for Tasha, Alice, Dani or one of our amazing laser technicians who can walk you through any questions and get you an appointment to learn more and be treated, safely!
Thanks to Roots hair salon and my hair dresser Caroline I got to dance around all weekend feeling super fly. I hope you will let Johnson Dermatology help you feel like you can dance in your own skin with pride. I look forward to getting to know you and getting to know my current people even better.
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
I hope you can all hear the tune I’m carrying, Nina